Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving...new traditions

For the past fifteen years, things have gone a certain way on Thanksgiving:
  1. Wednesday: head to Grandma Duke's house...stay the night, help make food while watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.
  2. Thursday: have lunch with the Duke side of the family and head back to McAlester for early dinner with Mom and Sister.
  3. Enjoy eating my second Thanksgiving dinner in a day...mmmm, mmmm, good!
  4. Meet up with Katie K and either see a movie or plan out our Black Friday.
Good plans, eh? After fifteen years (well, point number four has only been since we could drive so, you know, a solid decade or so), you get used to it. I look forward to it and can't believe how awesome my Thanksgiving is ever year.

This year, it's a new tradition starting. Due to some ridiculous family strife on the Duke side of the family (not kidding--the family essentially split due to a dog's dish of water), this year I went on Saturday *pre Thanksgiving* to my Aunt Patsy's house in Waxahachie. It was a great day! I got to sit at the adult table by my Grandma, see my precious family, and it was nice to do something different (eat off of cowboy china, change of scenary, you know good times).

Due to my sister's custody situation, she doesn't get the children until Friday evening so my traditional Thanksgiving dinner is now a lunch on Saturday at my Mom's house. Good times.

Today Chris & I are having fajitas at his grandma's house with his aunt and uncle from Colorado. Tomorrow I will have Thanksgiving with Chris' family. :-)

So my three Thanksgivings aren't happening on the traditional Thanksgiving day. Non-traditional? Perhaps but I love it. I'm excited for the new tradtions starting this year. Pictures to come soon my friends...Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: