Friday, November 21, 2008

Twilight

So let me tell you a little diddy about how I turned back into a tween girl....

Last winter my friend Deanna told me I had to read a book called Twilight. I was pretty hesitant...I mean, vampires? werewolves? dumb...dumb...dumb. I noticed in every class I had at least three students with one of the books from the series. So in an effort to connect with my students, I borrowed Deanna's copy. A day later I finished the book, returned it to Deanna, and promptly bought the series. Within a week I had entirely devoured the series.

We had a book event in the spring for Twilight. I did whatever I could to help...and did a significant part of the planning and pretty much led the event. I dressed up as Esme (too many Alices and Bellas around & you know I like to be different) The event was a huge success! Over one hundred of our students stayed after school for it. It was awesome--we had prizes, vampire cupcakes, and a prediction board for Breaking Dawn (the last book in the series).

When I left CMS, I didn't leave my love of Twilight. I preordered my copy of Breaking Dawn & marked it on my calendar. I was bummed to not be able to attend the midnight release (i was at camp) but was excited to come home & find my copy.

At midnight, the Twilight movie opened. I didn't go as I have Fridays off....so today at 10:35 am I left my house. I parked my car at Tinsletown and forced myself to not run into the theatre. I bought my ticket, a large cherry coke, and a box of sour patch kids and as calmly as possible walked to my theatre.

Due to the limited amount of cars in the parking lot, I thought I would be one of a handful of people for the 11 am showing. Wrong. A solid 40% of the theatre was full. I was very fortunate to get a good seat by some twilight moms. I scanned the theatre: very few teenagers, mainly moms, and a few couples around my age. One man came by himself; he sat two seats down from me & I kept waiting for his wife to appear. Nope...no wife--just a twilight fan ready for some awesome.

As the preshow entertainment flashed on screen, my excitement continued to build. The previews started & I was hooked by The Half Blood Prince and Bride Wars. I still can't decide if there were more previews than usual, but it seemed to take FOR-EV-ER!!! My anticipation continued to build and then: Bella's narration began!

I was hoping my beloved book would translate on film...so many books are ruined when they make the jump to the silver screen. Sure several things weren't the same but the general feeling, message was accurately portrayed.

I loved it! I can't express how much I loved it! I immediately called my Katie K to discuss it when I left the theatre. Oooh....so good!!! I can't wait to see it again! I plan on taking Chris so he can understand why I love it oh so very much.

Well done summit & catherine hardwicke, well done!

No comments: