Monday, April 28, 2008

wonderful weekend

I'm sure you've heard the phrase: "I need a vacation to recover from my vacation"? That is certainly not the case for me today. I had a beautiful mini-vacation this weekend. :-)

I spoke with Kenneth about taking the weekend off from church so I could recharge. It was perfect timing-- this last week was one of the worst weeks I've had in about fifteen months. Everyday this week something went awry...seriously bad news each & every day.

Friday night I went to a cook out which was tasty & delightful. I was able to see my kindred entertainment spirit, Courtney, whom I haven't seen in weeks (unfortunately we aren't schedule kindred spirits). We have decided our art day isn't going to come soon enough.

After the cookout, I decided I needed a new coverup for my swimsuit. Things looked a little bleak when all of the cute ones weren't in my size but thankfully the little girl section (you never knew i was size husky little girl did you?) had a fun, semi-frilly one. I was also very impressed by Burt--he now has sunblock. I honestly think one day you'll see Burt's Bees Cure for Cancer. I found a very bright, very yellow purse too!

Saturday morning I woke up bright and early, finished packing, and made the tough calls on what music to bring. Megan picked me up at 7:30 & we were off to the lovely town of New Braunfels. The drive was as close to perfect as a drive can be. We had lunch at a tiny diner in Canyon City before renting a raft.

Megan & I took on the Guadalupe. Sounds menacing huh? It's not but I wanted to sound tough. The river was pretty shallow so at almost any given point of our 3 mile trip you could hear one of us saying, "tree!" or "ROCK! BIG ROCK!!!". I think we may have found each and every large rock in the Guadalupe. We kept wiggling our way off of rocks (yes i literally mean wiggling) with the occasional jump out of the raft & push in addition to the wiggling. We met some friendly fellas that did help us a couple of times....one guy even picked up our raft with us in it to get us off a rock. I told him he was my new hero.

The company picked us up in an old bread truck. This was something else. They had wooden benches around the interior of the truck. We weren't the only ones on the truck either. It was packed with a variety of people. The conversations were interesting--prison stories, mall trips, and a lot of laughing at a dog.

We headed to our nonghetto hotel next. It was only a dollar more to have an "executive room" so we ponied up the dollar. We prettied up, bought gas, and headed to the Gristmill. It was prom night & tons of highschoolers were out in their best.

After dinner we went to the amphitheater on the horseshoe to hear the one and only Spazmatics play. I don't know how they do it but they're better at every show. Each show I have an even better time than before which blows me away. It was a family show so the guys now have the affection of about thirty teenage/elementary age girls. These guys took the time to talk to the girls & take pictures with them. How nice are they?

Sunday we hit up San Marcos. I got three pairs of dollar sunglasses. Best deal ever. They're ghetto fabulous & I love them! We met Ryan & Sandy for lunch(these girls are incredible--guaranteed to make you smile) before we headed home.

I learned a little lesson about 35 that day. Sometimes people decide to brake for no reason. I don't know if they just wanted to slow down & enjoy the day but it took us about an hour longer to get home. To avoid any frustration, we did opt to stop at a dairy queen. *Turtle Blizzards are absolutely wonderful.* After all, ice cream is the answer to any problem (fyi tomorrow is free cone day at Ben & Jerry's).

This was a wonderful weekend. I hope your weekend was great; if it wasn't, have some ice cream.

No comments: