Wednesday, September 23, 2009

wordy word words...

I sometimes find it difficult to effectively communicate my passion for my job through typed words. I absolutely, positively love my job.

Currently we're changing the description of my room. As you know, we've already changed the look of it (and I promise pictures will come soon!!!). I'm working on a write up of what I want to let the other departments know about the change. I want them to know my room isn't just the room where kids go when they're here for more than one service or the video game room. No. No. No. My room is so much more than that.

First I believe I have some of the most incredible volunteers of all time. If you could meet these people, you would be blown away by their gentleness, beautiful hearts, and their willingness to do whatever it takes to make sure our students know about God. These people will challenge you to be more simply by being who they are. It's remarkable.

Second the students in my room are so encouraging. These kids (kindergarten through fifth graders) desire to serve God and serve others. Do you realize how much of a rarity that is? These students also devour Bible stories. They learn them, share them, and ask insightful questions. I am blown away by my students.

My challenge is to communicate how our room is a place for students to be empowered, equipped, and encouraged to live out the lives God has for them. How do I put this into words to show that by parents volunteering (thus allowing their students to be here for more than one service & in my room), their children benefit too? Whenever I talk to volunteer tours, I just let it flow...when you have only a certain amount of space for type, how do you communicate the same passion?

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

On an unrelated note: make sure to check out Nightline tomorrow (Thursday, September 24th, 10:35 cst) to see the debate. This is the kick off of their 10 commandments series. Pastor Ed & Jonathan Daugherty debate the implications of adultery with Noel Bidderman (creator of Ashley Madison site that allows people to discretely have affairs) & Jenny Block (author). Trust me, you want to tivo this.

No comments: