Wednesday, September 9, 2009

27

Like New Years, birthdays have a tendency to lend themselves to reflection.

If you had asked me where I would be twenty years ago, I most likely would have responded with this, ‘I will have my own tv show. I will sing & tell jokes that will make people happy. ‘

Fifteen years ago would have had a response like this, ‘I will be married to a very handsome man. I will be housewife with two kids and a maid.’

If you had asked me where I would be ten years ago, I would have given you this answer: ‘At 27, I’ll be working towards a doctorate in literature at Duke University. I will be either engaged or married to a minister. We probably will be applying to do missions in Malawi, Africa.’ That’s a pretty good plan.

If you had asked me that question five years ago, ‘I will be married and on the mission field or at a church plant. We’ll help those who have been deceived & show them the Truth. I’ll lead a Bible study in our home and do mostly community outreach.’

Now here I am at one of the largest churches in the United States, running a discipleship program for kindergarten through fifth grade students. I get the opportunity to show kids God’s love & help kids love church. I am able to write my own lessons. I have a wonderful boyfriend who loves me more than I thought possible (and trust me it’s definitely reciprocated).

I never would have guessed that God would have me in the Bible belt at a megachurch…ever. Yet here I am. It’s amazing to think that God had this for me all along—this is my mission field. I get to help train children in God’s way so they can impact multiple generations.

It’s official: I’m now in my late 20s. I don’t know exactly what this means except that I get to live a little longer & hopefully have some more adventures.

No comments: