Tuesday, March 25, 2008

daisy

As vanity seems to be creeping in on me, I've decided to reread one of my FAVORITE books of all time: The Great Gatsby. I have trouble explaining why Daisy is one of my favorite literary characters of all time--she's so intriguing. How can anyone lack such sincerity and be such a "prize" at the same time? I love that zero character development occurs for her. I love that she symbolizes so much about the culture of the roaring 20s. I love that she appears to have a moment in which she is capable of SO MUCH MORE but the next moment she returns to her true self. I love how I can't really draw any parallels with her but still LOVE her. I think I may love her even more than Jane Austen's Emma--which, if you didn't know, I am the most like her out of any other female character in any genre. There's just something about her...maybe this reread will enable me to articulate just what that something is.

No comments: